Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Art IV - Proj. X

Brainstorming

For my 10th project I did a water soluble oil painting. I didn't know what to paint at first. I thought of doing a landscape, an animal or some other concept I thought of, however, I chose to paint a picture of my family since my mom had been asking me to do a family picture. For the picture I looked up some family pictures, but the most recent was probably 2 to 3 years ago. So my mom decided to take one and that's the one I ended up using.

 the original photo


In Action & Results

In starting I first drew the image in pencil so I knew where I would paint. Once I began it looked weird to me at first since the colors did not dry as fast compared to the acrylics and it would blend to a color I wasn't going for. However, the colors that came out, turned out to be better suited for the composition. Also, as I kept going the people started to look like the picture. My painting wasn't exactly the same color as the picture and completely realistic, but as I showed my family how it looked like in progress, they said it kind of reminded them the image of the scream painting by Edvard Munch. For the colors I chose, they were based on how it looked in the image. For the background, I used solid colors so it could complement the main image.

"The Family"

The final piece to me looks really good. I thought it would not have turned out this well because I tried water soluble oil paints before and it didn't turn out the way I wanted to. If I were to do this again I would change how I painted my mom in the image because from the whole portrait my mom looks the most different from how she looked like in the image. I also, did not do the stripes on my mom's shirt because I felt like it didn't go with the piece so I decided to not put it in. Also, if I were to use this media again I would paint a landscape or some other nature scene because painting people exactly how they look like it quite difficult.

No comments:

Post a Comment